Residents of Wagholi seem to have enough as it’s been two weeks since they have been inhaling poisonous smoke emanating from piles of garbage burning constantly for over two weeks. The pile of garbage keeps on catching fire due to toxic gases released from unattended refuse and rampant dumping in the spot.
The fire department has requested the Wagholi gram panchayat to make arrangements for earthmovers and a few tankers to help them douse the fire completely, despite this the village body is yet to make necessary arrangements.
Locals from the area have been following up on the issue with various authorities – starting from the Wagholi gram panchayat to Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) and right up to the district administration. However, citizens have complained that the officials concerned are yet to address the matter and get things moving on the ground.
Residents who have been suffering from almost two weeks now have also claimed that due to the fumes coming out of the burning garbage, many of them are experiencing health issues. “Since the past two weeks, people have noticed the presence of smoke in the air in the locality. I have started experiencing a burning sensation in my eyes. Even my elderly parents who stay with me are facing breathlessness,” added Kiran Kumar, another resident from the area. The trash keeps catching fire as it can’t be fully doused.
Locals further insisted that they have approached various authorities to find a solution to this recurring problem. However, they alleged that apart from giving them empty assurances, officials have not bothered to come up with any resolution to provide relief to the hapless citizens. Residents also claimed that they have been constantly calling the fire brigade officials attached to PMRDA, adding that even after they come and douse the fire, the garbage again catches fire the next day.
The gram panchayat members are yet to give a positive response to the request. Till the time they make arrangements for the necessary equipment, the fire department is helpless.
Image Source: Pune Mirror