Pest Control chokes couple to death at home in Pune’s Bibwewadi

Share on:

A seemingly normal task of pest control proved to be fatal for a couple in Bibwewadi, Pune. Aparna Majali (54) and Avinash Majali (64) choked to death at their residence after they inhaled insecticides and could not make it to the hospital in time. They had availed of the pest control service at 11 am on February 12th. They left for their relative’s place and returned back home at 7 pm on the same day. The gases still had not settled owing to zero ventilation. 

Their daughter returned from work at 7:30 pm and was shocked to see her parents struggling. Avinash had fainted because the insecticides made it difficult for him to breathe, and Aparna was gasping and had breathing problems. 

A neighbour told Pune Mirror, “We did get some strong smell coming from their house but did not think much of it. It was only when we heard screams and shouts for help and after their daughter banged on our door for aid did we realize that something was wrong.”

It was later found out that neither the windows had been opened nor the fan was switched on to provide an outlet for the gases to escape. They were rushed to Chintamani Hospital from their Ganesh Vihar residence. The staff suggested they be shifted to Sahyadri Hospital, a kilometre away. The duo lost their lives on their way to the hospital due to heavy traffic. It took them 45 minutes to reach the hospital.

Bibwewadi Police is investigating into the matter and a medical case has been registered. “We would like to request citizens to take adequate precautions while doing pest control at home and allow proper air circulation,” added the senior inspector at Bibwewadi police station. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *