Pune: 26-year-old man isolated to rule out coronavirus infection

Share on:

A person who recently came back from China to Pune was quarantined in Naidu Hospital after he said he experienced minor illness. He was isolated to rule out the novel coronavirus.

The person who is recently quarantined is a 26-year-old is a local resident who returned from Hong Kong, China on 2nd February 2020. He has been under observation ever since he returned from China.

Ramchandra Hankare, the chief of Pune Municipal Corporation’s health department stated that the man was isolated on Sunday since he developed fever and cough. He also said that the person’s throat swab samples will be submitted to National Institute of Virology (NIV) for testing for the novel coronavirus infection.

Since 18th January 2020, around 21,203 passengers who have travelled back from China and other affected countries are currently being screened at Chhatrapati Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai.

151 passengers of the total are Maharashtra residents and have been under a 14-day surveillance. 36 passengers from 151 have been quarantined so far due to development of fever, cold and cough in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur. 31 out of 36 have been tested negative and discharged. The other 5 travellers are still kept in isolation and are waiting for their results.

N95 masks are believed to be very effective to prevent the spread of this airborne disease. Pune has been facing a shortage of N95 masks due to its rise in export to Corona affected countries. When the union government banned its exports, the city was relieved.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), only medical officials and immediate contacts involved with the isolated passengers need to wear the mask.
Sanjay Patil, president of the city chapter of Indian Medical Association said people need not panic and rush to buy these masks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *