By: Caroline D’Cruz
Delhi Chief Minister, Kejriwal announced a 15-point Winter Action Plan to curb pollution in Delhi. which include the following points.
- Diesel vehicles older than 10 years and petrol vehicles older than 15 years will not be operated, 380 teams will enforce this.
- Production, sell, and purchase of crackers will be banned till January 2023 and 210 teams will enforce this.
- Anti-dust campaign will be run and 611 teams will check garbage burning in the open. Government-formed teams will look after the cracker ban.
- Government will install 233 anti-smog guns and 150 mobile anti-smog guns to curb pollution.
- Out of 42 lakh trees only 9 lakh trees are left to increase green cover.
- 13 hotspots will be strictly supervised, which have been identified.
- 20 acres of e-waste park will be made where electronic waste can be collected from NCR.
- More than 5,000 sq feet of construction area will have to register on the web portal, install anti-smog guns, and have to do real-time monitoring of dust control.
- Government would spray PUSA bio-decomposer on the stubble on around 5,000 acres.
- To stop road pollution, 80 road sweeping machines, 150 mobile smog, and 521 machines will be installed.
- With IIT-Kanpur, air quality will be monitored and forecasted.
- 3,500 volunteers have registered for Paryavan Mitras.
- CM encouraged to use Delhi app and continue sharing feedback on this.
- Graded Response Action Plan, a set of anti-air pollution measures will come into effect from 1st October. Advance action might lead to fewer incidences of severe pollution according to environmental experts.
- Kejriwal urged neighboring NCR cities, the Centre, and Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) to provide 24-hour electricity so that diesel generator are not used.
He also said that the pollution has come down in 2020-2021 from that in 2017-2018. He included that the steps by Government have also contributed to the decline of pollution. Plus, 2 crore people who have taken measures to get rid of pollution has also helped.