Twelve dead, twenty feared trapped in Mumbai building collapse

Share on:

A three-storey residential building collapsed early Monday morning in Bhiwandi, Mumbai. Twelve people have lost their lives in this incident, seven of whom were children. Forty people were rescued from the rubble, with eleven of them sustaining injuries. Dr. Pankaj Ashiya, Commissioner of the Bhiwandi-Nizampura Municipal Corporation told the Times of India that the 43-year-old building was on a “dangerous building list” and had been issued a notice for vacation by the civic body.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire brigade and the police are working together to rescue people that might still be trapped under the debris and to provide urgent medical attention to the people that may need it. According to a statement by the police, locals had rushed to the collapsed building to help and have rescued around 20 people themselves. Rescuers have said that 20-25 people are still feared to be trapped. Search operations involve canine and technical teams, whose efforts are being hampered due to heavy rains in the area. Local authorities have cut off electricity supply to the area, to avoid any mishaps during the operations.
The building has forty flats and houses around 150 residents. The building’s owner, Sayyed Ahmed Jilani has been charged under sections 337, 338 (Causing hurt/grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), and 304(2) (Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder).
The government of Maharashtra has announced a compensation of five lakh rupees to the victim’s families and messages of condolence and support have been pouring in from all over the country for the people facing this ordeal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *